Please Share This Page:
If you are a first-time visitor, please be sure to like us on Facebook and receive our exciting and innovative tutorials on herbs and natural health topics!
Image – NatureHacks.com
Mold is a problem in many homes and can have significant negative health effects – especially black mold. I have come across numerous people who have suffered “inexplicable” health issues such as upper cough, sore throat, itchy eyes and nose which turned out to be from mold. Some sources state that mold can cause all kinds of much more serious health problems – including anxiety, concentration loss, depression, tiredness and serious physical symptoms of many kinds – although these are often regarded by orthodox sources as unproven.
Ultimately, all mold is caused by moisture. This is caused either by condensation, water leak or high humidity. Molds can grow in the ceiling, basement, wall cavities, storage boxes, clothes, air ducts, insulation, furniture, windows and floor. Whenever molds begin to show, people too often ignore it. It might be making you sick, so it needs to be dealt with.
The first step in getting rid of mold is to identify and fix the cause of dampness. It might be a bathroom without ventilation, blocked gutters leading to water cascading down a wall, an unventilated bathroom or even a leaking pipe. The next step is to dry out the damp area – perhaps using a dehumidifier to absorb excess moisture – and remove the mold itself.
Followers of this site may have read our article on tea tree essential oil and noted that is is anti-fungal. We recently discovered a great little mold-removal tutorial that makes use of tea tree essential oil and some household stuff like an old toothbrush, a scrub brush and sponge, towel or cloth. It is often suggested to use bleach or other chemicals – and while these may kill the mold, they can have adverse effects of their own.
Here is the link to the simple tutorial: http://naturehacks.com/house-and-home/how-to-naturally-remove-mold-with-tea-tree-oil/
Important Note – if you have an extensive amount of mold, especially if it is black mold, it is advisable to contact a mold removal professional as black mold is considered a significant health hazard. If you are going to remove mold yourself, especially if sensitive, you should take as many measures as reasonably possible to avoid breathing it – in particular make use of a high quality filter mask. Also open windows and doors to provide fresh air.
If the area to be cleaned is more than 10 square feet, there is a guide from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: http://www.epa.gov/mold/mold_remediation.html
Please Share This Page: