Please Share This Page:
Infographic © herbs-info.com. Image sources: see foot of page
If you have difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep as long as you desire, then you might have insomnia.  This sleep disorder affects 1 out of 3 people and causes difficulty in falling asleep, waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep or waking up too early in the morning. 
Types & Causes of Insomnia
There are two types of insomnia: primary insomnia and secondary insomnia. Both can occur at any age, but are particularly common among the elderly.
Primary insomnia is not caused by any medical or psychiatric problem. It is simply the disturbance of sleep or the experience of non-refreshing sleep, and is not associated with any health condition. 
To people with primary insomnia, this sleeping disorder may have been caused by the following: 
1. Long-lasting stress
2. Work schedule that disrupts the sleeping routine
3. Physical discomfort
4. Jet lag
Secondary insomnia is a symptom or side effect of a medical disorder. This may include emotional, neurological, or psychiatric disorder.  It could also be due to a medication they are taking or a substance they are using, like alcohol. 
This type is caused by the following: 
1. Depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic depression
2. An overactive thyroid
3. Menopause and hot flashes
4. Conditions such as asthma and heart failure
5. Substances like alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, and sedatives
While there are many over-the-counter pills and medications prescribed by your doctor, there is also the option of going through the natural route. Using the herbs and essential oils listed below may help you get a good night’s sleep. 
Herbs For Insomnia
1. Chamomile. Sold in the form of tea, extract, and topical ointment, chamomile is found to have a soothing effect and is used as a remedy for insomnia.
2. Magnolia. Magnolia bark is used for reducing the patient’s anxiety due to its sedative effects, giving them better sleep quality.
3. Lemon Balm. When used in combination with other herbs, lemon balm can significantly relieve stress and anxiety, and promote adequate sleep.
4. Hops. Researchers have found out that using hops as a mild sedative can reduce the symptoms of anxiety and insomnia. 
5. St. John’s Wort. This herb is considered as an effective treatment for chronic insomnia and mild depression. 
6. Valerian. Valerian is a powerful sedative herb used to improve the speed and overall quality of sleep especially when used for a long period of time. 
7. California poppy. This is a very effective mild sedative and analgesic that promotes sleep and relaxation, and eases mild anxiety. 
8. Motherwort. This is a plant used as a natural relaxant and mild sedative, and is also believed to promote heart health.
9. Passion flower. This powerful sedative can help both children and adults remain in deep sleep throughout the night.
10. Lavender. Lavender is considered valuable for insomnia and other sleeping disorders. Even placing some flowers by the bed or under the pillow so that their fragrance can be inhaled is reported as having benefits.
Essential Oils For Insomnia
The following essential oils are known for their calming qualities, which can help you achieve better sleep quality.  Note that essential oils are not to be taken internally, and should be diluted before applying onto skin. 
1. Lavender Essential Oil. Lavender contains esters and alcohols which has therapeutic effects.
2. Valerian Essential Oil. Due to its known sedative effects, valerian is used for inducing sleep among insomnia patients.
3. Neroli Essential Oil. Widely used in aromatherapy, it is cited as easing tension and increasing blood circulation.
4. Clary Sage Essential Oil. Clary sage is known for its pharmacological properties and is considered to provide euphoria and calmness.
5. Vetiver Essential Oil. It acts on the nervous system as a sedative, which makes it an effective treatment for insomnia.
6. Roman Chamomile Essential Oil. Mixing this essential oil with lavender can boost its relaxing properties.
7. Patchouli Essential Oil. The essential oil of this herb is used as an antidepressant, and relieves fevers and headaches.
8. Sandalwood Essential Oil. Used in aromatherapy, sandalwood relieves anxiety, stress, and depression.
9. Cedarwood Essential Oil. When inhaled, cedar wood has a sedative effect which can help induce sleep.
10. Marjoram Essential Oil. It has calming and sedative properties that eases your nervous system.
 Insomnia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia
 Insomnia Fact Sheet http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/insomnia.html
 What Causes Insomnia? http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/inso/causes
 Herbs for Insomnia http://www.herbs-info.com/herbs-for-insomnia.html
 8 Natural Remedies That May Help You Sleep http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/01/06/8-natural-remedies-that-may-help-you-sleep.aspx
 Herbs and Natural Remedies for Insomnia http://www.christopherhobbs.com/library/articles-on-herbs-and-health/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia/
 Top 10 Essential Oils for Sleep and Insomnia http://www.herbs-info.com/blog/top-10-essential-oils-for-sleep-and-insomnia/
 Best Essential Oils for Sleep and Relaxation http://essentialoilbenefits.com/best-essential-oils-for-sleep-and-relaxation/
 List of Essential Oils http://www.herbs-info.com/essential-oils/essential-oils.html
Infographic Image Sources:
Lavendar – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Single_lavendar_flower02.jpg
Saint John’s Wort – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Saint_johns_wart_flowers.jpg
Hop – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hopfendolde-mit-hopfengarten.jpg
Chamomile – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chamaemelum_nobile_001.JPG
Motherwort – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Motherwort.jpg
Passion Flower – https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/Bildtankstelle_1_090.jpg
California Poppy – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kaldari_Eschscholzia_californica_01.jpg
Valerian – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Valeriana_officinalis.jpg
Lemon Balm – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Melissa_officinalis01.jpg
Magnolia Bark © https://au.fotolia.com/id/36199893
I Can't Help Showing This Off
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2017.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
- Famous Chef Sheds 60lbs Researching New Paleo Recipes: Get The Cookbook FREE Here
- #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
- "Red" Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- [PROOF] Reverse Diabetes with a “Pancreas Jumpstart”
- 7 odd foods that KILL your abdominal fat (surprising fat-fighters)
- Here's What Happens When You "Unlock Your Hip Flexors"
- The #1 WORST food that CAUSES Faster Aging (beware -- Are you eating this?)
If you enjoyed this page:
Please Share This Page: