Please Share This Page:
Please be sure to Join our email list and receive all our latest and best tutorials daily – free!
Photo © daffodilred – Fotolia.com
Cinnamon is a fantastic spice that not only imparts a magnificent aroma to a wide variety of foods, but it also considered to have all kinds of fantastic healing benefits. Furthermore, as you will soon see, there are all kinds of ingenious alternative uses of cinnamon.
There is, however, a serious fly in the ointment as far as cinnamon is concerned – much of the cinnamon consumed in the world nowadays is not real cinnamon (aka Cinnamomum verum or Cinnamomum zeylanicum), it is cassia! This is a potential problem because cassia (also known as cassia cinnamon, Saigon cinnamon, Chinese cinnamon or Cinnamomum aromaticum) contains much higher levels of coumarins, substances that have strong anticoagulant properties and may also be harmful to the liver when consumed in quantity. It has been advised to go easy on cassia as it may not be good for your health.
If you are buying cinnamon powder, it is very difficult to tell the difference between the two – however if you are buying cinnamon sticks, it is easy to tell the difference when you know what you are looking at. Be prepared to be seeing a lot of cassia, though. You’ll be amazed how much of the so-called cinnamon around is actually Cassia.
Here is how to tell the difference:
1) True cinnamon is a paler tan brown color (see our pic), as opposed to the more reddish rust-brown of cassia.
2) True cinnamon has a thin, paper-textured bark that forms multiple thin layers when rolled up. Cassia bark is much thicker, forming only a few layers.
3) True cinnamon is way more fragile, and much more easily crumbled – with the ends often appearing more broken up. Cassia is much tougher and more difficult to grind.
4) True cinnamon has a delicate, sweeter aroma, whereas cassia is more pungent and full bodied.
5) True cinnamon is up to 10x more expensive and harder to obtain.
Another part of the problem is that during the harvesting and drying process, the thicker cassia is more prone to mold and so is typically treated more heavily with pesticides!
If you are using cinnamon, especially for its health benefits, it is very important to get the real stuff. And now, you are in the know! To see some pictures that illustrate this nicely, follow this link to a google images search result for “cinnamon vs cassia”.
This little point of safety out of the way, w can move on to today’s discovery: We found a great article listing 20 Weird Uses and Health Benefits of Cinnamon. Here is the link: http://ecosalon.com/20-unusual-ways-to-use-cinnamon
ps. if you want to learn much more about cinnamon, including history, medicinal uses and scientific studies, please visit our full-length cinnamon page.
Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy, right? However…
Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
=> “Red” Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- Famous Chef Sheds 60lbs Researching New Paleo Recipes: Get The Cookbook FREE Here
- #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
- Most People Don't Have The Guts To Try These Old-Time Survival Tips
- "Red" Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- [PROOF] Reverse Diabetes with a “Pancreas Jumpstart”
- Survive The End Days (Preparation Tips For TEOTWAWKI)
- 7 odd foods that KILL your abdominal fat (surprising fat-fighters)
- Bullet Proof Home (Amazing Secret Tactics To Protect Your Home Against Looters, Thugs And Thieves)
- Here's What Happens When You "Unlock Your Hip Flexors"
- The #1 WORST food that CAUSES Faster Aging (beware -- Are you eating this?)
I Can't Help Showing This Off
If you haven't heard of Claude Davis yet do yourself a huge favor and watch this video. He's going to be the talk of 2016.
One of the smartest guys I ever had the pleasure of meeting, Claude set-up a unique system that changed his life forever.
I already tried it myself and let me tell... you I was completely blown away... His surprising tactics could make your life easier and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Don't just take my word for it... watch his short video and decide for yourself.
A quick note from our founder -
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
That's right - as a special launch promotion, we're offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) - All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
If you enjoyed this page:
Please Share This Page: