Please Share This Page:
Please be sure to Join our email list and receive all our latest and best tutorials daily – free!
Photo © Hayati Kayhan – Fotolia.com
Today’s set of “weird but amazing uses for everyday objects” is all about the humble egg and its shell – and definitely contains some weird ones. A few of them are just plain “out there”. Many of these I had not heard of before my recent discovery of Eco Salon’s page (link at the foot of my commentary).
Most of the 20 uses are pretty brilliant – and there are a few that really caught my eye. I love the idea of egg white makeshift band-aid… and the jewelry enhancer? There’s some interesting chemistry at work there… presumably the egg yolk reacts with the silver to create silver sulphide – which may result in an interesting hued-patina on the surface of the silver. Whatever the results, it seems likely that you could clean off the patina with silver polish if you wanted to.
I have to be honest, though: A couple of these I would not try. I just wouldn’t. Egg yolk as facial or egg yolk as shampoo? No, I am not cracking an egg in my hair or on my face! I’m just not! Is this just the latest extension of the fashion for edible items ending up in bathroom products? Or is there actually something to it? Can someone verify?
I’ve searched around (plenty of articles on this subject) and found a few other uses to add in as a bonus…
1) Eggshells can be used as an abrasive due to their roughness. However, they would leave scratches on stainless steel.
2) Slug deterrent. Grind the eggshells roughly and sprinkle them around the base of precious plants. Think about it, slugs and worms are not going to like this crunchy, scrapey stuff – and it’s eco friendly as not only will the eggshell biodegrade fully after a while, but it will provide essential nutrients (calcium) for the plant. Triple action!
3) Natural News has a confident-sounding article about tooth remineralization using comfrey and eggshells! I have no idea if this works, but it is a fascinating concept and “looks good on paper” due to the properties of these two items.
4) Cat deterrent. Apparently cats don’t like walking on crunched up eggshells either – and it is said that they will habitually avoid areas where the pieces have been scattered.
5) Use the eggshells as seed planters. This is an elegant idea, and I made a post about it recently: How To Plant Seeds Using Eggshells
A safety tip – it is possible that eggshells may contain bacteria. Putting them in a 150 degree oven for 10 minutes prior to use is suggested, as is cleaning the eggs prior to opening them.
Anyway here is the link to the full list of 20 weird but amazing uses for eggs and eggshells: http://ecosalon.com/20-unusual-uses-for-eggs-egg-shells-and-egg-cartons
Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy, right? However…
Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this story…
=> “Red” Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- Famous Chef Sheds 60lbs Researching New Paleo Recipes: Get The Cookbook FREE Here
- #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
- Most People Don't Have The Guts To Try These Old-Time Survival Tips
- "Red" Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- [PROOF] Reverse Diabetes with a “Pancreas Jumpstart”
- Survive The End Days (Preparation Tips For TEOTWAWKI)
- 7 odd foods that KILL your abdominal fat (surprising fat-fighters)
- Bullet Proof Home (Amazing Secret Tactics To Protect Your Home Against Looters, Thugs And Thieves)
- Here's What Happens When You "Unlock Your Hip Flexors"
- The #1 WORST food that CAUSES Faster Aging (beware -- Are you eating this?)
A quick note from our founder -
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE!
That's right - as a special launch promotion, we're offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) - All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)
If you enjoyed this page:
Please Share This Page: